/

The Magistrate's Blog (2005-2012)

This blog has migrated to www.magistratesblog.blogspot.co.uk This blog is anonymous, and Bystander's views are his and his alone. Where his views differ from the letter of the law, he will enforce the letter of the law because that is what he has sworn to do. If you think that you can identify a particular case from one of the posts you are wrong. Enough facts are changed to preserve the truth of the tale but to disguise its exact source.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Near London, United Kingdom

The blog is written by a retired JP, with over 30 years' experience on the Bench.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Charmless

I have previously expressed my personal reservations about the enforcement of TV licensing. My original post attracted a lot of feedback from anti-licence campaigners. I mentioned licence enforcement again the other day, and I received the following email from Jonathan Miller, a journalist who campaigns on the issue:-

From: Jonathan Miller
Date: 05/16/05 15:41:34
To: Bystander@dsl.pipex.com


My dear fellow

I am appalled by your participation in the continuing TVL farce. Do you have no guts? Why not fine these poor people a fiver and take a stand against the injustice of this system where a prosecution-mad BBC criminalises poverty in order that they can pay millions to their ‘celebrities’ at the expense of welfare mums on benefits?

How did you get your job? Which political party list were you on?

Contemptuously, I am afraid…

Jonathan Miller



This seems a strange way to address someone whom he would presumably wish to have on his side. I don't think that he has yet got the message about one's personal opinions being subordinate to the law, and the gibe about political parties is simply stupid.

http://parkingattendant.blogspot.com/http://www.crimeline.info/