/

The Magistrate's Blog (2005-2012)

This blog has migrated to www.magistratesblog.blogspot.co.uk This blog is anonymous, and Bystander's views are his and his alone. Where his views differ from the letter of the law, he will enforce the letter of the law because that is what he has sworn to do. If you think that you can identify a particular case from one of the posts you are wrong. Enough facts are changed to preserve the truth of the tale but to disguise its exact source.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Near London, United Kingdom

The blog is written by a retired JP, with over 30 years' experience on the Bench.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nice Try...

We reviewed a lad's Suspended Sentence Order a couple of weeks ago. Our DJ had imposed the sentence and ordered periodic reviews; this is a good idea, but tricky with a lay bench. DJ wasn't in, so we did it. Young man had made good progress, keeping his appointments and showing positive behaviour on site. "So far, so good" I said, before announcing a further review that will be in front of the DJ. Laddo raised his hand (as they do) and said "can I ask something?". "Yes" I replied, in my ever-helpful way. "Do I get any time off my unpaid work for this? I've wasted a lot of time today".
I caught the eyes of a row of case-hardened local briefs, all of them grinning from ear to ear. "You can ask the District Judge when you come back", I said. "But I wouldn't hold out too much hope". Knowing nods from assembled briefs.
If he has any sense he won't try that one on next time, but I wouldn't put it past him.

http://parkingattendant.blogspot.com/http://www.crimeline.info/